This article’s purpose is to highlight how an IoT platform for structural monitoring can provide innovative solutions for monitoring and managing tunnels. The processes of safety and operations are smooth and sustainable, nonetheless also the software technology provides a safe environment for the users and workers.
We will be discussing in this paragraph:
- Introduction to structural monitoring and challenges faced in tunnel management.
- What operational challenges are posed by critical infrastructures such as Tunnels.
- Analysis of the benefits offered by the IoT platform for structural monitoring.
Introduction to monitoring and challenges faced in tunnel management
Structural monitoring is a process that involves collecting and constantly analyzing data about the health status and safety of a structure, such as a bridge, building, or tunnel. To facilitate this process, sensors and advanced technologies have been introduced in recent years to continuously monitor the structure and identify signs of deterioration or damage. Structural monitoring was created to ensure the safety of structures and prevent accidents or collapses, and it can also help identify problems in advance and plan more efficient and cost-effective maintenance or repair work. It has also proven to be useful in optimising operational processes and ensuring that the structure is used safely and efficiently. In fact, data collected from structural monitoring can be used to assess the reliability of the structure and identify any design or construction problems.
What operational challenges are posed by critical infrastructures such as tunnels
The infrastructures authority are facing increasingly critical challenges in managing tunnels every day, such as safety, maintenance, and durability, but not only:
- Ensuring the safety of people using the tunnel is one of the most important challenges in managing tunnels, to identify any safety problems and prevent accidents.
- Maintenance of infrastructures. The need of frequent maintenance work can be expensive and it can also impact the safety of structures.
- The resistance of structures is a constant concern for operators. Structural monitoring helps identify signs of deterioration or damage in advance and plan more efficient and cost-effective maintenance or repair work.
- Accessibility. Ensuring that the tunnel is always accessible. This can be complicated by traffic disruptions, technical problems, or safety problems.
- Traffic control. Continuously monitoring traffic and adjusting or reducing traffic management based on conditions to ensure a safe and comfortable driving experience for users.
Industry operators are witnessing a growing need for innovative solutions in tunnel monitoring and management. Specific challenges in tunnel management, such as safety, maintenance, and longevity, require continuous monitoring and efficient management. Innovative solutions, such as IoT structural monitoring platforms, can help overcome these challenges and ensure optimal tunnel management. Let's see how.
Analysis of the advantages offered by the IoT structural monitoring platform
Adopting an IoT structural monitoring platform offers numerous advantages, including: safety:
- Safety. Continuous and precise monitoring of structures ensures safety for people using the tunnels and workers also. This is supported by anomaly detection, which is linked to alarm system that permits immediate intervention.
- Operational process optimization. The IoT platform optimises the monitoring and management processes of tunnels by providing accurate and real-time information on the conditions of the structures, and by having remote and constant control of the health status of the infrastructure itself.
- Cost reduction. The IoT platform allows early identification of any decay or damage problems, reducing maintenance and repair costs.
- Longevity improvement. Structural monitoring helps identify and prevent potential problems that could compromise the longevity of the structures, thanks to predictive maintenance.
Want to know more?
Fill out the form at the end of the page to request information on products or partnerships.